Homemade multigrain bread
- Preparation 6 h
- Cooking 30 min
- Servings 2 loaves
- Freezing Absolutely
My kids and I are in love with my homemade multigrain bread recipe. The recipe takes time to make, but believe me, it’s worth it! This bread keeps for about 1 week in an airtight bag, and freezes beautifully once sliced!
Add to favorites
- 1/4 cup spelt flakes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal flakes
- 1/4 cup whole-grain oats
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup unshelled, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup multigrain mix
- 3 tbsp (45 g) compact brown sugar
- 2 tsp (16 g) traditional active yeast
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour (345 g)
- 1 1/3 cups (220 g) whole-wheat flour
- 3 tsp Fleischmann’s Bread Improver (16 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp (16 g) salt
- All-purpose flour for work surfaces
- Original PAM-type cooking spray
- In a large airtight jar, place the ingredients for the multigrain mix, close the dish and stir for 1 minute.
- Place boiling water in a large bowl and let cool for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup of multigrain mix, stir and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and yeast and mix well to dilute the sugar. Let stand for 7 to 10 minutes, until mixture begins to foam. Add vegetable oil.
- Place bread flour, whole-wheat flour, bread improver and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and knead with the dough hook for 4 minutes. Of course, you can also knead by hand. Add a little flour if the dough sticks to your hands.
- Place the ball in a large bowl greased with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Leave to rise for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Punch the ball to release the air and place on a floured work surface. Knead 20 times, then cut in half evenly.
- Grease two loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the two pieces to the width of the loaf pans and about 30 cm long.
- Roll tightly from bottom to top, pinch the folds and turn over so that the folds are underneath. Fold the ends over slightly and place in the loaf pans.
- Cover with a damp dishcloth and leave to rise for about 2 hours, away from drafts, until the bread bursts into height.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Carefully place loaves in oven on center rack and bake for about 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 190°F.
- Cool for 1 hour before unmolding. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 2 hours before slicing! Keeps for about 1 week in an airtight bag, and freezes beautifully once sliced!
Add to my favorites