Crispy chicken with honey and garlic sauce
- Preparation 25 min
- Cooking 1 h
- Servings 4
- Freezing Absolutely
Crispy chicken is hard to beat! Especially with this honey and garlic sauce. I have to admit that it can get messy when frying stuff in the oil, especially when you don’t have a deep fryer (like me!). But one sure thing, the taste is so good that it’s worth it from times to times.
Ingredients for the chicken
- 7-8 cups canola oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 chicken drumsticks skin on
- 1 shallot, sliced
- Salt and ground pepper
Ingredients for the sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup Lune de Miel beer by Unibroue
- 1 tablespoon reduced in sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grilled sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Srirach
- 1 tablespoon corn starch diluted in 1/4 cup cold water
- Ground pepper
- Preheat the oven at 300°F.
- In a deep fryer (or in pan filled at 3/4 with oil), heat oil at 350°F.
- Meanwhile, pour the flour, sesame seeds and the paprika in a big bowl then generously season with salt and pepper. Stir and set aside.
- In another bowl, add the eggs and water then whisk. Dip the drumsticks in the egg mix to coat evenly then cover with the flour mix. Set aside in a plate.
- Cook the drumsticks in oil, small quantity at a time, for about 12-15 minutes, until chicken is deep golden. Remove from oil, place on a grill, let drip for 2-3 minutes and reserve in oven.
- In a small sauce pan at medium-low heat, add a small drizzle of olive oil then add garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Crank to medium then add honey, honey beer, soy sauce, sesame oil and Sriracha. Stir well and cook 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the corn starch mix and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes while stirring often. The sauce will thicken fast! Remove from heat as soon as it’s starts getting thicker. Pour immediately on the crispy chicken! Garnish with the shallot slices.