Grilled vegetables crostinis
- Preparation 20 min
- Cooking 30 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing I do not suggest
This fresh and original recipe is the perfect summer snack! The pumpernickel bread really boosts the flavors. I’d like to say thanks to my stepmother Luce for the inspiration and for those amazing crostinis!
- 1 spanish onion, sliced
- Italian spices
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 eggplant slices, about 5mm thick
- 8 tomato slices, about 1cm thick
- 4 pumpernickel bread slices, about 1cm thick
- 1 big ball of fresh mozzarina cheese, in thick slices
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers
- Dijon mustard
- Small handful of fresh chive, chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven and the bbq at 400°F.
- Heat a pan at medium temp. Add a drizzle of olive oil and throw in the sliced onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook slowly to caramelize, for about 10 minutes. Stir often. Don’t let the onions color! If it is happening, lower heat slightly. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a cooking pan, put the tomato slices and add a drizzle of olive oil on top. Season with Italian spices, salt and pepper then cook in the oven for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a big bowl, drop the eggplant slices and add a good drizzle of olive all over them. Season with salt and pepper and mix to coat evenly. Cook directly on the bbq grill for 3 minutes before rotating them in a 45 degrees angle. Cook for another 2 minutes and flip over. Continue cooking for 2 minutes and they should be ready! Remove from heat and set aside. ( The eggpants can also be cooked in the oven )
- Meanwhile, brush the pumpernickel bread with olive oil, on both sides. Grill on the bbq, on both sides, until a nice coloration! remove from heat and set aside as well.
- Montage : Brush the bread with Dijon mustard on your favorite side. Then, add 2 slices of fresh mozzarrina. Add 2 slices of tomato and drop 2 slices of eggplant on top. It is now time to add a couple of pieces of roasted red pepper! Then, garnish with a good quantity of caramelized onions and sprinkle chive on top.
***Those crostinis are perfect when lukewarm, so don’t worry if cooked ingredients spend a little time on the counter!***