Tourtine with beef flank steak and duck confit (poutine meat pie)
- Preparation 1 h 30
- Cooking 2 h
- Servings 6 to 8
- Freezing Absolutely
It’s finally available! My famous recipe of tourtine with beef flank steak and duck confit (poutine meat pie). A very decadent and REALLY delicious meal. Perfect to impress during the holidays or simply at your next pot luck. Believe me, this meal is legendary!
- 325 g McCain Spicy Fries (half a bag)
- 2 duck confit legs (525 g), coarsely chopped
- 750 g beef flank steak, diced against the grain
- Olive oil
- 175 g pearl onions, ends cut off
- 125 g Whisky and BBQ sausage by Pork Shop, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Voyageur des Brumes beer by Dieu du Ciel Brewery (or other red beer)
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) savory
- 350 g very cold cheese curds
- 150 g grated Louis d’Or cheese (or other firm raw cow’s milk cheese)
- 1 kg pie dough separated in two
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Ingredients for the sauce
- 1 can (398 ml) commercial poutine sauce
- 1 envelope (100 g) demi-glace sauce
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) Voyageur des Brumes beer by Dieu du Ciel Brewery (or other red beer)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place fries on baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until fries are semi-crisp. Stir halfway through cooking. Set aside.
- Place duck meat in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet heated over medium-high heat, drizzle with a good amount of olive oil and add half the flank steak. Season generously with salt and pepper. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes and pour into a bowl. Repeat with remaining flank steak and set aside in the bowl. Add more oil if necessary.
- In a small saucepan filled with boiling water, place onions and cook for 1 minute. Drain and peel.
- In a skillet heated over medium low heat, place onions, sausage and garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add beer and cook for 2 minutes to reduce slightly. Pour with the flank steak, add the spices, season with salt and pepper and mix. Let cool for 20 minutes. Add cheese curds and grated cheese then mix. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out the pie dough to obtain two circles of about 12″.
- In a well greased 10.5″ pie pan, put the first dough layer and form a nice thick crust that extends well beyond the sides. This way, it won’t shrink too much during baking.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place sauce ingredients in a saucepan and whisk to dissolve lumps. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken. Stir occasionally.
- Put the meat mixture in the pie and spread it out. Drizzle with 2 ladles of sauce, put the fries on top and add 2 more ladles of sauce. Cover with the other pie shell and seal the edges, forming a thick crust.
- Brush with egg mixture and cut an X in the center. Place in oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and mixture is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving!