Roasted turkey with cider and apples
- Preparation 30 min
- Refrigeration 12 h to 24 h
- Cooking 3 h
- Servings 6 to 8
- Freezing Absolutely
The “freezer to oven” turkeys by Exceldor are perfect. They are already seasoned! But you know me, I must always bring a dish to the next level! Here I opted for a white wine and vegetable brine, an apple stuffing and a cider basting! WHAT? You are afraid of wasting your turkey at Christmas? Follow my instructions, have a meat thermometer at your fingertips and I promise you that your meal will be successful !!! #lecoupdegrace #hohoho #exceldor #ad
Ingredients for the brine
- 1 “freezer to oven” turkey about 5 kg by Exceldor, unfrozen
- 2 cups carrots, cut into large pieces
- 3 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into large pieces
- 7 branches of fresh thyme
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- About 20 cups of water
Ingredients for the stuffing
- 3 Macintosh apples, cut in large cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into large pieces
- 10 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper from the mill
Ingredients for the rest
- Olive oil
- Provence herbs
- 1 liter cider
- In a large 15 litre pot , add the turkey followed by the remaining ingredients for the brine. Add enough water so that there is 3-4” over the turkey. Mix, cover and reserve in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours, the longer the saltier. Remove the turkey from brine and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover the bottom of a large roasting pan with aluminum foil and add the grill.
- In a large salad bowl, add the ingredients for the stuffing then season with salt and pepper. Mix, fill the cavity with as much stuffing as possible and tie the legs together. Place in the roasting pan.
- Sprinkle the turkey with a thin stream of olive oil and rub to coat. Season turkey with salt and pepper and sprinkle generously with Provence herbs.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 350°F and continue cooking for 2 to 3 hours or until the internal temperature of the breast is 165°F and 185°F for a thigh. Baste with cider every 20 minutes.