Tomato fritters (tomatokeftedes)
- Preparation 25 min
- Cooking 30 min
- Servings About 15 fritters
- Freezing Absolutely
- 4 ripe but firm tomatoes, diced
- 200g feta cheese, cut into mini cubes
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- salt and pepper from the mill
- Preheat fryer to 375°F and oven to 200°F.
- In a large bowl, add tomatoes, feta cheese, red onion, mint, parsley, oregano and herbes de Provence and season generously with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In a bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour to the tomato mixture in three parts, mixing well each time.
- Taking a handful about the size of the palm of your hand, form slightly flattened balls and gently drop into the fryer. The mixture will be relatively soft and this is normal.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, a small amount at a time, until golden brown. Turn over if necessary.
- Drain well and place on paper towel to remove excess oil, for up to 2 minutes. Set aside on a rack in the oven at 200°F while you fry the others.
- Serve with my mint tzatziki sauce !