Tomato soup with cheese tortellini
- Preparation 10 min
- Cooking 25 min
- Servings 6
- Freezing Absolutely
- 540 ml chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light Pilsner beer (or white wine)
- 796 ml diced tomatoes with Italian spices
- 796 ml crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 to 4 cups cheese tortellini, cooked al dente
- 142 g baby spinach
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a large saucepan heated over medium-high heat, add the chickpeas followed by a good drizzle of olive oil and stir. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes to colour. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add the onion followed by a drizzle of olive oil and toss. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, beer, season with salt and pepper then mix. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and spices then season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add the tortellini and spinach. Mix for a few minutes to cook the spinach and warm the tortellini. Serve with your favourite baguette!