Tomato gazpacho with fennel and cucumber
- Preparation 30 min
- Refrigeration 2 h
- Cooking 30 min
- Servings 10 cups
- Freezing Absolutely
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bulb of fennel, heart removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 8 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups water
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan heated on medium heat, add olive oil followed by onion, garlic and fennel. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring until fennel is tender. Add oil as needed.
- Deglaze with the white wine, stir and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, season with salt and pepper generously and stir. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to a fine purée and filter. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Let cool 30 minutes before reserving in the fridge for minimum 2 hours! Serve with a bread baguett and kick ass cheeses.