Squash puree and lemon ricotta croutons
- Preparation 45 min
- Cooking 40 min
- Servings 25 croutons
- Freezing I do not suggest
- 4 cups butternut squash in cubes
- Olive oil
- Provence herbs, to taste
- 1/2 cup light ricotta cheese
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 350g bread baguette, cut in 1 cm slices
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly grilled
- Fresh thyme for decoration
- Preheat the oven at 375°F.
- On a big cooking tray, place the squash cubes and drizzle about 3 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle about 1/2 tablespoon Provence herbs then generously season with salt and pepper. Toss well and cook in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until squash is fork tender. Toss from times to times. Pour in a big bowl and reduce to a puree using a fork. We want to keep a certain texture!
- In a bowl, add the ricotta, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Combine then reserve in fridge.
- Preheat the oven at 400°F.
- In a bowl, add 1/3 cup olive oil, the dried thyme then season with salt and pepper. Place the croutons on the cooking tray and baste them on both sides with the oil mix. Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly grilled. Remove from oven and let cool down 2-3 minutes.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon ricotta cheese on the croutons followed by the same quantity of squash puree. Place some grilled pine nuts on top and garnish with thyme leaves before serving!