Seafood, squash and white beer risotto
- Preparation 10 min
- Cooking 1 h 30 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing Absolutely
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash, cut in big cubes
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 5 cups warm chicken broth
- 1 cup Blanche de Chambly beer from Unibroue
- One pack (340g) shrimps/scallops mix ( or about 12 each ), uncooked, shelled and cut in big pieces
- Garlic salt
- 1 cup fresh parmesan, grated
- Salt and ground pepper
- Preheat the oven at 400°F.
- Place the butternut squash cubes in a cooking pan and drizzle some olive oil over them. Mix well to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper and cook in oven for about 45 minutes or until fork tender. Stir midway. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- In a big pan at medium heat, melt the butter and add the shallots. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, without searing. Stir often.
- Add the arborio rice and stir to coat well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the white wine and stir well. Reduce until dry.
- Continue cooking while adding 3/4 cup of chicken broth at a time, while reducing until dry everytime. Very important to stir regularly. ( Add the beer to the risotto when you’re at about half of the broth ). If the liquid is absorbing or evaporating too fast, reduce heat slightly. This cooking should take about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanhwhile, put the seafood on a paper towel to remove water.
- In a pan at medium-high temp, heat a drizzle of olive oil and cook the seafood for about 3-4 minutes. Season with garlic salt and ground pepper. Stir often. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Rice cooking is completed? Remove from heat and add the squash, seafood, parmesan then stir well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste!
- Right before serving, add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and stir delicately. Risotto needs to be served creamy as hell!
*Note : Risotto is good when al dente : tender outside and slightly firm inside. You might not need all the broth to achieve the required cooking.