Parsnip and pear soup
- Preparation 25 min
- Cooking 45 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing Absolutely
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes (4 medium potatoes)
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled and cut in cubes
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 big Abate Patel pears, peeled and cut in cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- About 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 15% country-style cream + some for the service
- Salt and ground pepper
- In a big sauce pan at medium heat, add olive oil followed by potatoes, parsnip and onion. Season with salt and pepper, stir well then cook for 4-5 minutes while stirring often. Add oil if necessary.
- Add the pears, cumin, cinnamon and dried thyme then stir well. Continue cooking while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine, stir and cook for another 2 minutes to reduce dry.
- Add enough chicken broth to cover, then cover with lid. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for 35 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Stir from times to times.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth texture. Add cream, stir and taste. Rectify seasoning if necessary. Add a bit of chicken broth if too thick!
- Pour in big bowls, add a drizzle of cream on top then garnish with fresh pepper !