Macaroni and cheese with ham and carrot purée
- Preparation 40 min
- Cooking 1 h
- Servings 6
- Freezing Absolutely
- 2 cups carrots (3 medium), sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 454g macaroni
- Olive oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian spices
Ingredients for the cheesy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 leek (1 1/2 cups), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 1/2 cups (about 150g) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (about 150g) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (about 100g) grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cooked mechoui ham, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook carrots for about 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Add chicken broth and purée. Set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 1 minute less than al dente according to package directions. Pour into a colander, rinse with cold water to stop cooking and drain well. Drizzle with 2 tbsp. olive oil and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add panko, butter, paprika, Italian spices and salt and pepper. Mix well and break up the butter with your fingers. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heated over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and add the garlic and leek. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes to soften.
- Add butter and melt. Add flour, mix to form a dough and continue cooking for 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in 1 cup of milk and whisk away lumps. Pour in remaining milk followed by mustard powder, dried parsley and Italian spices. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes to thicken slightly, to about the consistency of 35% cream. Remove from heat and add cheese, ham and carrot puree. Stir for 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add macaroni and mix.
- Pour into a large 9 ” x 13″ baking dish and spread. Spread panko mixture on top, place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving!