Lemon and limoncello pound cake
- Preparation 1 h 45 min
- Cooking 1 h
- Servings 6 to 8
- Freezing Absolutely
Ingredients for the cake
- 1/2 cup diced butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream, taken out of the fridge 15 minutes before use
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Limoncello (or lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (or vanilla extract)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 pinches of salt
- About 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Ingredients for the icing
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello (or lemon juice)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 9” x 5” loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater, add the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat for 2 minutes or until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl well.
- On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time and mix well between each one.
- Add sour cream, lemon zest, Limoncello and rum and mix for 30 seconds.
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then mix.
- On low speed, stir in the flour mixture, in two parts, until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl well. Do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and make the top surface even. Decorate with poppy seeds.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. Leave to cool for 30 minutes before unmolding. Place on a wire rack and let cool for 1 hour before adding the frosting.
- For the icing: add the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth. Adjust consistency by adding either milk or powdered sugar, to taste. Drizzle with frosting and serve!