Jambalaya with chicken, sausage and shrimp
- Preparation 45 min
- Cooking 40 min
- Servings 6 to 8
- Freezing Absolutely
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 300 g chicken breasts, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 semi-frozen Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light Pilsner beer
- 796 ml diced tomatoes with Italian spices
- 1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 250 g frozen okra, sliced
- 340 g shrimp sizes 31-40 peeled without the tail
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a large Dutch oven dish heated over medium heat, add the onion, garlic and celery then drizzle a good drizzle of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Add the bell peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase over medium-high heat, add chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the sausages, smoked paprika and oregano and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- With the exception of the shrimp, add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the lid, add the shrimps and mix. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring or until the shrimps are cooked.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with fresh parsley!