Homemade demi-glace sauce
- Preparation 15 min
- Cooking 1 h 20 min
- Servings 2 cups
- Freezing Absolutely
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 beef soup bones
- 3 full chicken wings or 2 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 1/2 cup white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 big carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1 bay leave
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups veal broth
- 1 big tablespoon corn starch, diluted in a bit of cold water
- In a big sauce pan at medium temp, heat the canola oil. Add the bones and chicken then cook until very golden on all sides, about 20 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the mushrooms, carrot and garlic then cook while stirring often for 10 minutes in order to caramelize it all!
- Add the tomato concentrate, bay leaf and thyme then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and the water ( and the beer if you are doing this version ) then bring to a boil. Scrape the bottom to release all those flavors! Simmer for 20 minutes so that the liquid reduces by 2/3.
- Add the veal broth and simmer for another 25 minutes or until it reduces half. Remove the fat that is chilling out on the surface.
- Add the corn starch and cook for a couple of minutes more so that the sauce thickens. It must be thick enough to stick a little to the back of a wooden spoon!
- Remove from heat and filter many times with a fine filter.