Ham leek rolls gratin
- Preparation 25 min
- Cooking 30 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing Absolutely
- 6 leeks about 6 ” long, the outer layer removed
- White wine
- 12 slices of Black Forest ham (take 24 if slices are small)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- In a large saucepan filled with salted boiling water, cook leeks for 5 minutes. Remove from water, put in colander and let drain for about 5 minutes.
- Gently cut in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle with a thin stream of white wine and season with salt and pepper. Roll each piece of leek with a slice of ham and place in a baking dish. Set aside.
- Prepare the béchamel : in a nonstick saucepan heated to medium heat, melt the butter and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the flour and mix to form a roux. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add a little milk and whisk to remove chunks. Add the rest of the milk, the Italian spices then season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring, to thicken the sauce slightly.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, add the mozzarella and mix for 2 minutes to melt. Pour the sauce over the leek/ham rolls.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, bury with Gruyère and return in the oven. Put the oven to BROIL and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is golden on top! Let stand a few minutes before eating.