Ground beef, pearl couscous and vegetables soup
- Preparation 25 min
- Cooking 55 min
- Servings 6 to 8
- Freezing Absolutely
- 1 1/4 cups pearl couscous
- 1 3/4 cups water
- Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small acorn squash, peeled and seeds removed, diced
- 550 g lean ground beef
- 1 can of 796 ml diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a small saucepan heated over medium heat, place the couscous and drizzle with some olive oil. Mix and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the couscous al dente. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot heated over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and drizzle some olive oil. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the parsnip, celery, squash, a good drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Break the meat into pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the diced tomatoes, spices, beef broth then season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn and couscous then mix. Cook for 1 minute while stirring and then VOILÀ! Serve with a baguette and your favourite margarine.