Garlic and ginger soup
- Preparation 20 min
- Cooking 45 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing Absolutely
- 400 g rice noodles
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 3 large French shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 white-parts green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 227 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 227 g baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- Sesame seeds for serving
- Sliced green onions for serving
- Ground pepper
- In a large saucepan filled with salted boiling water, cook noodles according to package directions. Pour into a colander, rinse thoroughly under cold water and drain. Drizzle with a thin stream of vegetable oil and toss to coat.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the sesame oil, shallots, garlic and star anise and mix. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until the garlic and shallots begin to char.
- Add ginger and green onions and mix. Cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the chicken broth, soy sauce and salt then season with pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and mix. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, add the bok choy and mix.
- Divide the noodles between bowls and fill with broth and vegetables. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions!