French Onion Soup with Fin du Monde
- Preparation 10 min
- Cooking 1 h
- Servings 6
- Freezing Absolutely
- 3 big onions peeled and thinly sliced (1 red, 1 white, 1 Vidalia)
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 big garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1x750ml Fin du Monde beer from Unibroue
- 1/2 cup Port
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cup beef broth
- 1 pinch of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celeri seeds
- 1 Bay leaf (to remove before broiling)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices of French Bread, about 1/2 inches thick
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot at medium-low heat, add the olive oil and slowly caramelize half of the onions (1/2 of each), garlic and the green onion about 20 minutes.
- Deglaze with the Fin du monde beer and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer to reduce half, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients ( except for the bread and cheese ) then season with salt and pepper, to taste. This soup is better on the salty side! Bring to a boil again and lower heat, simmer for another 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven at broil.
- Put the soup into 6 bowl and add a slice of bread on top.
- Cover each bowl with the rest of the cheese. Start with the swiss and finish with the parmesan. Put in the oven until the cheese is golden crisp!