Deluxe roast beef sandwich
- Preparation 45 min
- Cooking 55 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing I do not suggest
Ingredients for the marinade
- 1 kg French roast beef, taken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons salted herbs from the Bas-du-Fleuve
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
Ingredients for the pickled shallots
- 4 French shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
Ingredients for the sandwich
- 8 slices of bread from a country loaf
- Honey mustard
- 12 leaves of lettuce
- 8 slices Appalachian raclette cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line a roasting pan with foil and put the rack on top.
- Drizzle the roast with a dash of olive oil and massage to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the roast about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Season generously with salt and pepper. Place on a plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients for the marinade, pepper thoroughly and mix. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the marinade in a bowl.
- With half of the remaining marinade, brush the roast all over and place on the roasting rack. Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until internal cooking reaches 130 °F for medium rare. Brush with the rest of the marinade during cooking.
- Transfer to a plate, cover tightly with foil and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. *** KEEP THE JUICE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BAKING PAN. *** Place the beef slices in the bottom of the baking dish with the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Set aside.
- For the marinated shallots, except the shallots, combine all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Mix to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Remove from the heat, add the shallots and mix. Let cool for 15 minutes and drain. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to GRILL.
- Now is the time to whip up your sandwiches! On the bottom bun, spread mayonnaise to taste and add a few leaves of leaf lettuce. Add plenty of slices of beef, a few marinated shallots and add 2 slices of raclette cheese. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 2 to 3 minutes just long enough to melt the cheese. Spread honey mustard on top of bread and place on top. Prick with long toothpicks, cut in half and serve!