Crepes gratin with asparagus and ham bechamel sauce
- Preparation 20 min
- Cooking 35 min
- Servings 4
- Freezing I do not suggest
Ingredients for the crepe batter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Canola oil for the pan
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups hot milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt ( or more to taste )
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup cooked ham ( of your favorite cut ), chopped in small chunks
- 24 small asparagus, blanched for 2-3 minutes
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- Fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven at 400°F.
- In a big bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crepe batter ( except for the canola oil ) and whisk intensively to remove all chunks.
- In a big pan at medium heat, add about 1/2 teaspoon of canola oil in the center. With a paper towel, spread the oil evenly in order to leave only a thin coat. **Keep the paper and reuse it to add oil every 2 pancakes. Add oil on the paper if needed.***
- Drop a medium ladle of pancake mix in the middle of the pan and turn it around to obtain a big round shape for a thin crepes of about 15cm in diameter. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until the sides are curly and there is a nice coloration under. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Put in a plate and cover to keep humid. Repeat until all the pancake mix is gone.
- Time to prepare the bechamel sauce. In a medium sauce pan at medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the milk and whisk to remove all chunks. Add spices and the ham then stir well. Cook for a couple of minutes, while stirring often, until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now time to assemble your feast! Place a crepe in a 9 by 12 pyrex, add 3 asparagus in the center then pour a laddle of bechamel sauce over the asparagus. Roll it and seal it by adding a bit of sauce on the edges. Continue with the rest of the crepes and stack them side by side in the pyrex.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the crepes and cover well! Spread the cheddar cheese on top then throw in the oven! Cook for 10 minutes then crank to broil until the cheese is nice and golden. Remove from oven and let cool down for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh pasrley and serve with your favorite salad!