Corn chowder with maple bacon
- Preparation 20 min
- Cooking 40 min
- Servings 4 to 6
- Freezing Absolutely
- 375 g maple bacon, cut into large pieces
- Olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 peeled carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 237 ml 15% country cream
- 10 baby potatoes, cut in 4
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian spices
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the bacon, a thin drizzle of olive oil and cook,stirring occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes, until the bacon is crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and set aside in a bowl. Remove 3/4 of the fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and drizzle a thin stream of olive oil. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
- Add the celery and carrots and drizzle a thin stream of olive oil. Cook 7 to 8 minutes, stirring.
- Add the flour, mix and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Pour in the chicken broth and whisk to break up lumps.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and the bacon, season with salt and pepper and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover, leaving 1cm uncovered. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally!