Cinnamon, maple and Sortilège buns
- Preparation 1 h 45 min
- Cooking 25 min
- Servings 12 buns
- Freezing Absolutely
Ingredients for the dough
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Sortilège Original liquor
- 1/2 cup diced butter, soft
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour + 1 cup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast “quick rise”
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 egg room temperature
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup + 1/4 cup for basting
Ingredients for the glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter, soft
- 125g light cream cheese, soft
- 2 tablespoons Sortilège Original liquor
- 2 cups icing sugar
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter, stirring and remove from heat. Add the milk and the Sortilège and mix. Let cool 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add 2 1/4 cups flour, yeast, brown sugar and salt. Mix with a whisk to break the lumps of brown sugar.
- Add the water, egg and the milk mixture then stir. Add 1/2 cup of flour and mix/knead with your hands to incorporate the flour. Add the rest of the flour and mix/knead to incorporate the flour again.
- Throw the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes to obtain a nice and elastic dough. Place in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let to rise for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a bowl, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix with a whisk to break the lumps. Add the chopped pecans and raisins and toss. Set aside.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll down to a rectangle about 15 “x 10”. Brush the dough with the melted butter and pour the brown sugar mixture in the center. Spread the mixture evenly to the ends and drizzle with 1/4 cup maple syrup. Roll tight, making sure to roll the wide side up, to get a cylinder 15″ long. Cut into 12 equal pieces and place the slices, lying, on a large baking sheet. Space pieces at least 2″ apart. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in size. Brush the tops of the buns with the remaining maple syrup.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until buns are lightly browned on top.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing! In the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater, beat the butter, cheese and Sortilège for 2 minutes until the mixture is creamy. Add the icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat constantly until a nice smooth texture is obtained. Spread the frosting as soon as the buns come out of the oven. Eat hot or warm, depending on your tolerance for pain and patience!