Berry and custard tart
- Preparation 45 min
- Refrigeration 30 min
- Cooking 35 min
- Servings 6 to 8
- Freezing I do not suggest
Ingredients for the custard
- 1 cup 3.25% milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
Ingredients pour the tart
- 400g very cold puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp. water
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 large pint (551 ml) fresh blueberries
- 340g ground cherries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. dark rum
- 1 tsp. cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp. cold water
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- In a small non-stick saucepan heated over low heat, add milk, maple syrup, vanilla seeds and bean. Infuse for 2 minutes, stirring. Discard pods and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add egg yolks, brown sugar, cornstarch and beat with a whisk until smooth. Gently stir in warm milk with egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour into saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly. Pour through a fine strainer and push into a bowl with a spatula. Let cool for 5 minutes, then add plastic wrap directly over the custard so no air comes in contact with it. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a rectangle of about 12″ by 15″ and place on the baking sheet. With the exception of a 1″ border, prick the dough with a fork to prevent it from puffing up too much.
- Brush the dough with the egg mixture and sprinkle the brown sugar all over. Place in oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add blueberries, ground cherries, maple syrup and rum to a large bowl and mix. Let macerate for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet heated over medium-high heat, pour fruit and syrup into skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture, stir and continue cooking for 1 minute to thicken slightly. Pour into a bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the custard on the puff pastry and spread the fruit on top. Decorate with fresh mint leaves and serve immediately!