Asian style rice salad
- Preparation 35 min
- Cooking 30 min
- Servings 4 to 6
- Freezing I do not suggest
- 2 cups broccoli cut into medium florets
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 red pepper, cut into mini cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut in half and finely sliced
- 540ml chickpeas, well rinsed
- 200g bocconcini cheese (4 units), cut into small cubes
- 1 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 cup cashew, coarsely chopped
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grilled sesame oil
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a large baking sheet, add broccoli then drizzle with olive oil, soy sauce and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Place in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and cooked but still crispy. Pour into a bowl and let cool.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the rice followed by a thin stream of olive oil. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add water, stir and cover. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce over low heat. Simmer covered for 10 to 12 minutes, until rice is cooked and water evaporated. ***To get a perfect and non-sticky rice, I like to cook it a few more minutes to make sure all the liquid is evaporated. Then I stir, cover and let rest for 10 minutes before using. This method seems to work well with basmati and parboiled rice. I did not try with the other types of rice!
- In a large salad bowl, add the rice and broccoli followed by the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve it cold or warm along with lemon wedges.